The villages of Farington and Farington Moss are situated south of Preston and close to Leyland, Agriculture remained the primary occupation until the 1830s, which was supplemented by spinning and weaving in the home. Now 80% of the crops grown in Farington are lettuce and celery, with potatoes, barley, green vegetables and tomatoes making up the rest. The industrial development meant that Farington and Farington Moss grew separately.
Farington houses Leyland DAF who is the descendant of Leyland Motors. Vehicles for both world wars were built here, including the famous Churchill tanks. Later, many hundreds of Centurion tanks rolled out of the gates on to the appropriately named Centurion Way. Farington is still a healthy and invigorating place to live and even with the increase in industry and growing traffic Farington Moss manages to still keep its rural community and its village life that it first was.
The name Farington derives from the old English a tun – town, where fearn – fern grows. It changed from Farinton in 1212 to Farington in 1246. Up until 100 years go all the land west of Croston Road was peat bog, but has since been turned into fertile agricultural land. All the farms in the area, and the bog were owned by a man called Young. Each farm was given a piece of waste land rent free for a number of years while the work of clearing the peat was in progress, and men working on the land had to wear special wooden pattens to stop themselves sinking into the water!
The cotton industry played a key role in forming its character, with the mill which boasted one of the tallest chimneys in Lancashire being the main source of employment.
The original parish was split into two sections when the mill was built by Mr Boardman in the early 19th Century close to the railway line. Far Farington was centred on St Paul’s Church and Near Farington centred around the mill.
The owners of the mill which later became Bashall and Boardman, also built the cottages including Mill Street, and a statement made in 1882 said the mill owners brought the village into existence.